Building upon the strengths and opportunities while mitigating over the threats and weaknesses, the SWOT analysis underscores enormous potential to compressively transform Gwalior by intervening in SIX strategic areas (Focus Areas)
LEVERAGE TOURISM POTENTIAL BY STRENGTHENING THE HERITAGE IMAGE OF THE CITY. (FA1: City Identity and Culture)
The analysis revealed that Culture Heritage is the biggest assets of the city of Gwalior; thereby becoming the primary theme for the holistic development of the city.
- Re-enforcing the city identity by strengthening ‘Brand Gwalior’, leveraged from its rich history, built form, music and cultural heritage.
- Create new economic opportunities for all by linking heritage with tourism, investment, smart urban form, environment and mobility.
- Utilize urban form and structure as a framework for exploring and experiencing the heritage assets.
- Leverage Cultural assets for developing a feeling of pride to the city among the citizens in order to attain social inclusion, shared vision and community ownership of the cultural assets.
- Benefiting the local artisans by developing support infrastructure for producing handicraft products for tourists which will further enhance their tourism experience of the city.
RE-MODEL PHYSICAL LINKAGES WITHIN THE CITY FOR ENHANCED CONNECTIVITY. (FA2: Connected and Accessible city)
Public Transportation has emerged as a major concern from city residents, SWOT analysis and self-assessment of the city. It is utmost important to solve the mobility challenge of the city.
- Tending private city trips to public transport by developing an efficient public transport network.
- Reducing the traffic over streets by creating walk-to-work neighborhoods as a long term strategy.
- Encourage walk-ability (and NMT) by making a pedestrian friendly city through urban design.
- Switching over clean mobility to address the air pollution level in the city.
COMPREHENSIVELY TRANSFORM QUALITY OF LIFE BY BALANCING THE URBAN-ECOSYSTEM. (FA3: Resilient Urban Eco-systems)
Sanitation level in the city has come up as another concern among the citizens. Additionally unorganized and inaccessible open spaces deteriorate the quality of urban lifestyle. The SWOT also emphasizes poor sanitation, undeveloped open spaces and higher level of pollution which needs to be quickly addressed.
- Ensure cleanliness at all places in the city with an efficient system for waste reduction and management.
- Focusing inclusive growth by upgrading lifestyle of Slum dwellers to higher sanitation level.
- Enhance natural urban environment to achieve a balance between built and open space in the city.
- Emphasis over green technologies for a sustainable urban-ecosystem and addressing global climate concerns.
FOCUS OVER CITIZEN CENTRIC GOVERNANCE FOR BETTER URBAN SERVICE DELIVERY. (FA4: Citizen centric governance)
- Driving over the principles of “More governance less government” by penetrating technology into all government processes.
- Strengthen G2C and C2G interaction over all possible platforms to empower both citizen and administration.
- Encourage citizen led initiatives for better urban service delivery.
- Nurturing innovation at the city level by strengthening possible means of participation by all stakeholders
- Set-up a platform for experimenting innovative funding models to deliver smart, efficient and cost effective services.
- Build institutional capacity to manage growth and change through collaboration between government, existing R&D institutions, industry and citizens.
EMPHASIS COLLABORATIVE GROWTH BY BUILDING OVER HUMAN CAPITAL AND ECONOMIC RESOURCES. (FA5: Collaborative Growth)
- Gwalior has a vibrant economic base, a high investment in MSEME but still the work-force participation remains a constraint to the city’s economic growth.
- Create an environment of diverse economy by supporting entrepreneurship in heritage tourism, local handicrafts etc.
- Harnessing the local talent by strengthening the support system to facilitate employment generation.
- Unlock prime land in core city areas to promote new investments, businesses, jobs and increase income levels through creation of more Smart Hubs.
REVAMP THE CORE URBAN INFRASTRUCTURE AND FURTHER OUTSPREAD HEALTH AND EDUCATION POTENTIALS. (FA6: Effecient Urban Infrastructure)
- Universal access to the best in class infrastructure facilities.
- Incentivize transformation of health and education from basic amenities to service industry.
- Gwalior to be a regional hub of research & innovation in Education and Health sectors.